Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Two and a half

I'm so upset with myself for letting so much time go by without updating Isaac's blog. So much has been going on since the little bugger turned 2, and I have really struggled with wanting to go back and catch up on it all...but I am just so overwhelmed...I think I have to let well enough be and try to pick up on some highlights and go from there.

So, Isaac turned 2 in June 2009 and shortly after (late July) he found out he was going to be a big brother!! Obviously having NO clue at the time what that would mean for him, we have been working hard to build his excitement and hopefully acceptance of the idea. :) Now, almost 8 months later we still can't be sure he really knows what is going on, but he seems to be excited and okay with it all. He was a little hesitant at first to graduate into bigger and better things leaving his "baby" things for his baby brother. For example, when we moved him into his new bedroom with his new big boy bed, he seemed fine at first...until he realized his previous bedroom and crib were going to be used by baby brother. It's hard to know exactly how to help them process and accept these things...but with a little encouragement, he now refers to his former room as baby brother's room and seems perfectly fine with him sleeping in the crib. :) We encourage him to be helpful by letting baby brother use "his" things that are too little for him now, and telling him he will have to help baby brother learn lots and lots of things. He seems to like the idea. :)

I'm sure we are in for quite an adjustment. Isaac has developed into somewhat of a strong willed child. I find that when we go through a new "phase" with him, I can just get trapped into thinking it is just the worst! Then I get to the next phase and I think...that wasn't all that bad...THIS has to be the worst. I'm sure a lot of it is normal, but I often struggle with how to shape his behavior without expecting too much or crushing his spirit. I have to say though...now that he is almost 3...I think I need to step this up a notch.

I have to ask him to do things several times and often when I do say something (really anything at all) he just retorts with an argumentative statement. It doesn't matter what I say...he will say the opposite. I have to remind myself that he may not completely understand what he is doing...but at the same time...if I don't help him understand...he will come to think that this behavior is okay...and it is NOT okay. I am at my wits end with this child sometimes! If I "threaten" him, which I try not to do unless I'm perfectly willing to follow through on it...he just looks at me as if to say "go ahead" and on occasion he even says something to the effect. He will often get a spanking because I have said "do you need a spanking?" in hopes to get him to obey without the actual spanking and he has said "yes". Ugh! I have found this to be one of the most difficult stages of parenting. Being consistent but loving. Shaping behavior but not breaking his spirit. Being his parent but also having fun. It's a tricky balance.

So, of course this would be a good time to start potty training...right? Why on earth I thought this was a good idea, I will never know. Not only is he in the throws of the terrible and testing twos...but I am in the last trimester of pregnancy! What is difficult about it is that he started out really well, and then decided he didn't "want" to do it. So I have 2 things going on in my brain...I feel like I can't go back now...we started and he was doing so well...if I quit...what will that do? And also...I haven't really mentioned this yet...but he is his mother's child...did I say strong willed?? Don't even tell me you don't "want" to do this...cuz I will not quit!! You WILL do it. Of course I know that is not really the right approach to this...but I'm just torn. Again, with shaping his behavior and even his confidence...he CAN do it...he HAS done it...but also choosing my battles at this point. Sigh.

Okay, I can't leave things on a bad note...Isaac is incredible. He is happy and energetic and so much fun. One reason I am excited to be done with pregnancy (among many) is to just get back to having fun with him. I feel like such a let down to him right now cuz I just can't bring myself to do much of anything being so uncomfortable and tired all the time. I love when Mike gets home and starts to play with him. They have SO much fun together and it really is such a joy to watch. He is also just so smart. He knows and recognizes the entire alphabet, both upper and lower case. He counts to 20 forwards and backwards and has even started recognizing some words. The other day he took letters from his alphabet puzzle and spelled his name! The puzzle only has one of each letter so it came out ISAC. I was still very amazed none the less, but he took it one step further by asking me where the other A was?! He knew his name needed 2. :)

He doesn't really read (I don't think)...but this kid has some memory!! There are several books that he could probably recite back to us almost completely. He loves music and knows so many songs that he loves to sing. He knows jingles and tag lines for many things in mainstream media such as "save money, live better, walmart". He recites this any time he sees the yellow walmart logo. In the past six months he is putting thoughts together...actually having conversations...its so amazing to watch that develop in your child...from simple words to phrases to actual complete thoughts! He's just so interactive and verbal now...and in seemingly such a short period of time. He's funny too...the things that this kid says...I really need to start writing them down so I can recall them.

I'm excited for this next year and what lies ahead with him. Hopefully I can do better keeping it all updated on here as well!! Until next time...

No comments: